Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear L400 (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Mitsubishi
    Delica Space Gear L400
    Black
    4spd automagic

4x4

•  
    Details

Has some weird bmw looking grille from a Taiwan market 2005 Delica

•  

Stock

•  
    Comments: 150 / Views: 67723
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Would a slipping belt cause those symptoms? I'm not very familiar with automatic transmissions.
    I don't know a lot about automatics either but don't think they typically have belts. The newer model D5 delicas do have a cvt. The one I have is a conventional automagic. It's a junky toyota aisin transmission

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I didn't drop the oil pan cause the exhaust is in the way. I did manage to unplug a connector and ohm out all the solenoids and fluid temp sensor. Everything there checkout perfect. All the other connectors seemed to be plugged in and in good shape. I found a transmission in japan on the beforward website with unknown mileage that I might be able to get for around $2200cad landed. That's still more than $0 so I'm gonna hold out and see if I can get a nearby transmission shop to take a look and likely make it great again. I'd rather limp it over for them to see what it's doing than hand them a transmission and say fix me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I took the van to a transmission shop last night. Before heading over I took it around the block to see if it'd drive ok in 2nd. When I pulled back into the driveway it was making all sorts of neat noises. I jacked up the rear end and put it in drive and things didn't sound good. Tried doing a brake stand(hold brake-hit throttle) and it revved up and the wheels didn't spin. It was slipping. But 2nd gear seemed to work fine.

I feel better for not wasting any time dropping the pan, I'm pretty sure there's something mechanically broken inside the transmission. I'd save a few bucks by yanking the transmission out myself but it's a pita to do on the floor and I wasn't sure it was totally hooped until last night. Oh well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,060 Posts
    What kind of coin are you imagining might have to be parted with to get it back to "in-service" status? Hope your imagination is small...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    What kind of coin are you imagining might have to be parted with to get it back to "in-service" status? Hope your imagination is small...
    Too much, I'm guessing/hoping for no more $2500-3000 plus r/r. But that's only what, $500 usd?
    People are asking anywhere from $8000-22,000 for these turds right now. I'd ask 10 if I were to try and sell it. Cause why not.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I tend to believe that yours post-trans-repair would be worth AT LEAST $10k. Probably more like $15k.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I got a call. Expecting them to say it needs a rebuild. But nope, they test drove it, took it down the highway and it worked fine. They couldn't get any of their scan tools to communicate with it. Basically said to take it somewhere else, they're not interested.

And just now I remembered that I left the "hold" switch on so unless they turned it off they would have been taking off in second gear. Regardless, I told them that first gear is ****ed and shifting it into first gear manually would have shown them the problem. So after work I'll drive straight there with my scan tool and see if it acts up. It will guaranteed.

They wouldn't even give me a price for a rebuild cause they didn't look up what type of transmission it has.

It won't get much use this year by the looks of it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a shame. Did any of those Delicas come with a manual transmission? If so ... conversion?

Yeah, real shame! I just found out the shop changed owners since I dealt with them last. I'll take 50% blame for them not finding a problem cause I left that damn switch on. I also meant to leave an adapter in the van so they could hopefully scan from both diag ports. But even if I did, they already decided they weren't gonna touch it.

Oh well, Might have to look into an LS swap? I'd like to know if a montero sport transmission would fit it.
    I don't think I'd be a good shop owner. I'd be broke. I just spend the money I made changing tires and changing oil on two vehicles one saturday at home for someone to drive my van around for 10 mins.... If I could stay busy enough to quit my job and pay my bills working on peoples stuff at home for 1/2 of normal shop rate I'd do it yesterday. But the county and neighbors might not love the idea.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-14-2024 at 11:26 PM.

Well, I stumbled upon this video(it's the same va451 transmission). https://fb.watch/s4pqQENwdY/

I think I'll just yank it out and tear it down. It doesn't look that bad, should only take 10 mins.

Parts seem to be easy enough to come by on the internet. I assume there are some difference between pajero/montero and Delica. I believe the t-cases are slightly different. The Suv has a neutral position in the t-case where the Delica has 2wd 4hi(awd-using viscous coupler in t-case), 4hi lock(4wd) and 4low(4wd).

Last edited by Fummins; 05-15-2024 at 12:41 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-15-2024)