Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Vehicles You Are (Fo' Real) Contemplating...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Edit: Getting insurance is gonna be a pita. Going to have to call back when I have a few hours to waste.
    Hey Fummins, try Hagerty Insurance. I have my VW with them & they specialize in old / collectable vehicles. Just for goofs, I requested a quote for a Delica L400 & I received a price back (it was stoopid cheep) so it looks like an option for you... Just thoughts...

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

BigMW (09-15-2023),Fummins (09-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Hey Fummins, try Hagerty Insurance. I have my VW with them & they specialize in old / collectable vehicles. Just for goofs, I requested a quote for a Delica L400 & I received a price back (it was stoopid cheep) so it looks like an option for you... Just thoughts...
    Thanks! I think I'd be parking the Mirage if I daily this van(if I get it), the hagarty site says:"Vehicle usage
    A policy through Hagerty allows you reasonable pleasure use, with no fixed restrictions—it just can't be your daily driver.'"

But...
    "All household members with a valid driver's licence must have a regular-use vehicle for daily driving, covered with regular-use insurance in that driver's name. Motorcycles and public transportation are not considered viable regular use vehicles by our program."
    I usually keep the truck insured year round so that could be my "daily driver".

Uh oh...
    "Vehicles that may not qualify

-Vehicles used for camping, off-roading or utility purposes
    -Right-hand drive vehicles newer than 25 years, specifically those imported from Japan such as a Nissan Skyline, Toyota Supra or Toyota Land Cruiser"

I pretended it's fine and ended up with an online quote of $347/year! That's saying I'd occasionally take it to work/car shows..., no offroading, etc....
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-15-2023 at 03:16 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I want a 2017 grand lancer

Isn't she looks like just a bigger Mirage G4 I would want an Orange too so people at the office would say.. "Hmmnn Jim did your car just got a bit bigger?"
    Lol

Name:  Mitsubishi-Grand-Lancer-India-Launch-Price-Specs.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  92.1 KB

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atras For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-20-2023),inuvik (09-17-2023)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (09-17-2023),BigMW (09-18-2023),inuvik (09-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Whoo hoo! You snagged it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, I’m not positive how gods or bad it is yet. I do know that it’s awkward to drive on the wrong side. I took it for a short test drive cause it was weird enough just sitting on the right side let alone driving…seller said to keep in the right side of the lane…I didn’t get far before noticing I was driving down the middle of the road. And of course I turned the wipers on while making a turn…I knew all of these things ahead of time but it’s hard to break habits…

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    See, I think its easier... just look down at the line on the ditch side and stay on it. I think it should have been that way all along, RHD on the right side of the road. Much safer imo as you aren't looking into oncoming headlights, and in the event of a head on collision, both drivers are on the opposite side. Just my two shiny copper thingys
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah, I’m not positive how gods or bad it is yet. I do know that it’s awkward to drive on the wrong side. I took it for a short test drive cause it was weird enough just sitting on the right side let alone driving…seller said to keep in the right side of the lane…I didn’t get far before noticing I was driving down the middle of the road. And of course I turned the wipers on while making a turn…I knew all of these things ahead of time but it’s hard to break habits…
    I had hoped to be coming home from Montana with a 750cc 3 wheel car but I didn't arrange my finances. So, no, me sad.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 1,077 Posts

M109R Long Ride Story...

Well,

I got to do a bit of a long ride on my new to me murdersickle. Here's a bit of a story about just how dumb I am.

My first long ride on this bike. I rode it from south Atlanta to the Montgomery, AL area to visit a cousin. I topped off on my way out of town at a location with non-ethanol gas and reset the trip meters. I did my ride down there to his house. Probably about 155 miles or so. I didn't run slow, but I wasn't hauling. Just riding about average.

When I left his house later, it still had 2 bars on it. Also before I left I noticed that the Buc-ee's near Auburn, on the way back, had non-ethanol gas (pure-gas.com website).

The distance back to that Buc-ee's was going to be really pushing it. But I thought with 2 bars and if I ride real easy, sounds like a fun challenge. And that's what I did. The country roads I was on allowed me to do 55 mph in 55 mph zones in 5th gear with no one behind me. Plugged through a little town as trouble free as could be.

The low fuel light started blinking probably 10 miles after leaving his house. I thought, that's not the serious one, it's when the fuel light is on steady, then it's serious. That's something the owner's manual explained. I kept plugging at 55 mph. And noticed based on Waze, I would have 221.5 miles on the tank by the tame I made it to the Buc-ee's. So I set my mind to fuel conservative riding, and held the sucker as close to 55 mph and as smooth a speed as I could.

I made it to, and got out on I-85 north toward Auburn and put it on 65 mph. Not much traffic. And some road construction so I wasn't too much slower than what traffic there was. The light went on steady when I got on the interstate (I guess from leaning to turn onto the ramp). It went back to blinking for a short time then back to steady again. I said F'it and ignored it and kept my speed as steady as possible, 65 mph. When I entered Interstate 85, I had 24 miles to get to the exit where Buc-ee's was.

Along that 24 miles, a few places I thought, it would REALLY SUCK to run out here. But it kept going. Finally I thought I could just barely see the exit sign WAY ahead, when the bike fell on its face. I grabbled the clutch lever and let it coast as far as it could, and came to a stop on the side of the interstate at 220.0 miles on the trip meter. Feeling like the dumbass that I was, to have taken such a chance, I started thinking, well, at least it's not uphill from here, except at the exit ramp.

But before I put the kickstand down and started taking off the jacket, gloves and helmet, I thought, what if I pop the lid on the tank, in case it is sucking kind of a vacuum on the tank. Maybe taking that vacuum off might make it easier to suck up what's left. So I did that, put it the lid back on, shook the bike left and right, pushed the button and it fired up to my surprise. Noone coming behind me for a long way so I eased it up through the gear box to 5th gear and poked along at about 45 - 50 mph with the flashers going. No traffic behind me anyway. And it made it the 1 mile remaining, right to the end of the exit ramp and it killed off again.

I tried that trick once again, and it fired up again, I turned left and rode over the interstate, the last 1/2 mile and limped it into the gas station. Damn I got lucky. But damn that was a dumb thing to do.

So, I don't know. Maybe that's the longest range one could get from this bike, without special treatment, special riding and special roads. 220.0 miles. Came out to be 41.9 mpg. I won't be doing that again. That was just a dumb thing to do.

This story also illuminates just how spectacular our Mirages are. Under the same conditions, I probably would have gotten 42 to 44 mpg. I would have been much safer, and much more comfortable too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-20-2023),inuvik (09-20-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Maybe taking that vacuum off might make it easier to suck up what's left. So I did that, put it the lid back on, shook the bike left and right, pushed the button and it fired up to my surprise.
    Yep, I know exactly what you done. I have a 2002 KLR650 & I tried the same thing you did. I ran out of fuel on the main tank & switched to reserve. Drove very careful as I wasn't in an area I would like to stop. I then ran out of fuel on reserve, but the design of my tank ( & maybe yours) has the petcock @ the front left of the tank & it allows a small amount of fuel to remain in the right / rear section of the tank. I laid my bike on it's left side to allow the fuel to run over the center of the tank & it gave me enough fuel to go ~30ish kms & got me to a gas station that at least had street lights around it... Good Job on the first ride!!!

Last edited by klroger; 09-21-2023 at 12:55 AM.
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)