Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Other Vehicles You Are (Fo' Real) Contemplating...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Pete Buttigieg was questioned about 8 charging stations being built since $7.5 billion was put towards that over 2 years ago on "Face the Nation" recently. Anyone can look up the exchange on YouTube.

I'm not saying the article is true or false.
    As much as I am NOT a fan of Buttigieg, I think people have an expectation that if there is a plan to build (I don't remember the number of charging stations, but let's say) 30,000 charging stations, that minions just take a work truck with a utility bed out somewhere, anywhere, grab a shovel out of the truck, start digging a hole and out pops a charging station and viola ... done. Move on to the next hole.

I think Buttigieg is getting dragged over the coals unfairly on this whole charging station thing (from what I've heard about it). I'm an engineer. And I develop crap that is simpler than a charging station. And it takes tons of time and effort to make it happen, successfully on a large scale.

They said they've put, or plan to put 7.5 billion toward it, to be completed in I forget, what ... 8 years? And after 1 year they've only got 8 stations. That doesn't corroborate to 8 stations per year. It's just dumb to drag him over the coals for that. However, if after 8 years they wind up with 100 charging stations, then lambaste him. But there's a crapload of planning, land procurement, unit production, construction, testing blah blah blah, a thousand things I can't even imagine that has to go into a plan like that. And lastly, any plan to do something any more complex that pushing the toaster handle down (with a piece of toast in it hopefully) is too complex for our trusty gobment. It should all be outsourced to private companies, and have someone smart go in and make sure progress in being done and things are on schedule. I'll do it! I'll over see it. And will only charge 1 billion of that 7.5 billion to manage the whole thing. Ah crap I forgot ... I'm not smart.

Rant over.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am back to contemplating a Hemi Challenger again...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,733 Times in 2,136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    As much as I am NOT a fan of Buttigieg, I think people have an expectation that if there is a plan to build (I don't remember the number of charging stations, but let's say) 30,000 charging stations, that minions just take a work truck with a utility bed out somewhere, anywhere, grab a shovel out of the truck, start digging a hole and out pops a charging station and viola ... done. Move on to the next hole.

I think Buttigieg is getting dragged over the coals unfairly on this whole charging station thing (from what I've heard about it). I'm an engineer. And I develop crap that is simpler than a charging station. And it takes tons of time and effort to make it happen, successfully on a large scale.

They said they've put, or plan to put 7.5 billion toward it, to be completed in I forget, what ... 8 years? And after 1 year they've only got 8 stations. That doesn't corroborate to 8 stations per year. It's just dumb to drag him over the coals for that. However, if after 8 years they wind up with 100 charging stations, then lambaste him. But there's a crapload of planning, land procurement, unit production, construction, testing blah blah blah, a thousand things I can't even imagine that has to go into a plan like that. And lastly, any plan to do something any more complex that pushing the toaster handle down (with a piece of toast in it hopefully) is too complex for our trusty gobment. It should all be outsourced to private companies, and have someone smart go in and make sure progress in being done and things are on schedule. I'll do it! I'll over see it. And will only charge 1 billion of that 7.5 billion to manage the whole thing. Ah crap I forgot ... I'm not smart.

Rant over.
    Their claim is not a secret. They announced 500,000 charging stations by 2030.

If only 8 charging stations have been built in 2 years, that's 4 charging stations/year. I'm not going to claim to be the best math person on the planet, but they may fall a little short of 500,000 by 2030.

I am not dragging anyone under the bus. As a taxpayer, however, I can question how government money is being spent. If the proper infrastructure isn't there, I might question future EV mandates.

The general public needs to embrace EVs like Eggman does, & that will take some time. I am not trying to start a fight with anyone, & I am not opposed to change. I just don't think you can put the "cart before the horse" when it comes to items like this.

I only shared this story, because I thought things were moving along better. It made me realize that this will take some time. In the meantime, I wish more affordable, reliable, & economical cars like the Mirage existed, but that's on us as consumers. Americans like their pickup trucks.

Until the infrastructure is there, why doesn't every brand have an affordable hybrid car offering in the meantime?

I wouldn't be so sad to see the Mirage go if I knew Mitsubishi was replacing it with something more affordable, more reliable, and more economical. What are the odds of that happening? My guess is zero!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    And here we have the 20 new charging stations still under wraps. This must have cost somebody a lot of scratch to install. Since I can't find anything that indicates the city of Niagara Falls was involved I wonder if any tax money was used to install these?

The deeper I dig into city hall the more I learn our tax dollars are being spent like crazy by unelected petty tyrants who all have their own agendas. I would not be shocked to discover the plaza owners are in cahoots with some city councilor OR a city employee who simply decided $250,000 of city tax revenue wouldn't be missed. Ugh. Now I have more reasons to live in an RV and not be paying these creeps property taxes.

Hey, as an aside, I read somewhere the average property taxes in " Live free or DIE" are something insane like $12,000 yearly on a small 50's style bungalow. Comments?

Name:  IMG_20240531_192639.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  94.2 KB

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)