Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 Repair Shops, No Answers!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My point being it is possible to assemble the strut-to-car incorrectly where the bearing is not rotating but the spring is winding up by steering inputs. Personal experience having a shop install struts and do it wrong. Hold the car straight, then let go and the steering wheel turns all by itself just like OP described!

Karl

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    My point being it is possible to assemble the strut-to-car incorrectly where the bearing is not rotating but the spring is winding up by steering inputs. Personal experience having a shop install struts and do it wrong. Hold the car straight, then let go and the steering wheel turns all by itself just like OP described!
    I suppose there are more than enough uninterested or uneducated or both mechnanics that can goof everything up. As Murphy's law says, if something can get *ucked up, asume it has been done!
    If that were the case, you could test it yourself by just looking at it, while a second person turns the wheel all the way between one side and all the way to the other. In cases when the bearing has seized, the spring might make noises as it slips on its base.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I suppose there are more than enough uninterested or uneducated or both mechnanics that can goof everything up. As Murphy's law says, if something can get *ucked up, asume it has been done!
    If that were the case, you could test it yourself by just looking at it, while a second person turns the wheel all the way between one side and all the way to the other. In cases when the bearing has seized, the spring might make noises as it slips on its base.
    In my case the "mechanic" found the one way to assemble the bearing and various parts at the top that simply clamped the top of the strut to the body. The only movement possible was to twist the spring. No slipping possible at base or top.

I mentioned this as a possibility for the OP to check. He has a severe problem probably induced by some mech in a hurry...
    Karl

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    In my case the "mechanic" found the one way to assemble the bearing and various parts at the top that simply clamped the top of the strut to the body. The only movement possible was to twist the spring. No slipping possible at base or top.

I mentioned this as a possibility for the OP to check. He has a severe problem probably induced by some mech in a hurry...

Wow! My deepest sympathy. Here that "mechanic" would probably lose his license to perform as a recognized professional. After doing a job, it is mandatory to test it for ensuring the job was done properly and the car is safe to be used. Think liability.

Even a learner-mechanic in his first year would be expected to do that correctly, its such an easy job, and self-explainatory too. Hope you grilled that a**hole.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (08-16-2023),Fummins (08-16-2023),mohammad (08-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,833 Times in 2,138 Posts
    Too bad we never got an update on this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Too bad we never got an update on this.
    Oh, I really SERIOUSLY hate when this happens! Now, we will never know....

Karl