Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replace timing chain tensioner without ripping apart timing cover?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Replace timing chain tensioner without ripping apart timing cover?

I've got a 2017 ES. Is it possible to replace the tensioner without having to take apart the timing cover and everything else that goes with that? I recall a diagram showing an access panel on the timing cover specifically for the tensioner, but not entirely sure. I think my tensioner has gotten lazy as I get the rattle on cold starts, so it'd be great to be able to replace it on its own rather than take apart the timing cover!

It's a ratcheting tensioner that I don't think can really lose tension. Is it the same rattle that they typically make on first start up after an oil change or??? Does the oil filter you're using have an anti-drainback valve?

What ever happened with this?> https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...508#post148508

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll bet it's actually valve clatter. They are manually adjustable valves. Perhaps they have worn some?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    I'll bet it's actually valve clatter. They are manually adjustable valves. Perhaps they have worn some?
    Nope, there isn't any manual adjustment.
    Edit: didn't realize that was you.
    The lifters aren't adjustable though, you gotta replace the lifter with one that's a different height. The engine I tore down had 3-4 different height lifter buckets. Each one is marked with the height or part number. I'm sure there's pics on the forum somewhere. I'll tear a couple more engines apart one of these days and share that.
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-20-2023 at 07:18 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The lifters aren't adjustable though, you got to replace the lifter with one that's a different height. The engine I tore down had 3-4 different height lifter buckets. Each one is marked with the height or part number. I'm sure there's pics on the forum somewhere. I'll tear a couple more engines apart one of these days and share that.
    Oh man! That sucks. When I read that they were adjustable, I figured they would have gone the route of Honda with a simple screw/nut adjustment. Sounds more like my old VW Rabbit with solid lifters. The tappets have to be swapped out and you need a huge kit with all different sizes to do it right. Bummer.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The lifters aren't adjustable though, you gotta replace the lifter with one that's a different height. The engine I tore down had 3-4 different height lifter buckets. Each one is marked with the height or part number. I'm sure there's pics on the forum somewhere. I'll tear a couple more engines apart one of these days and share that.
    Kawasaki engines had buckets. You needed a kit with hundreds of buckets before you began work on your Z1. Ugh. I hated that. Are you sure the chain system is at fault? You would only be the 2nd person here with chain issues. Ever. Another guy was just, IMO, clueless when he was diagnosing noises from his engine. He posted once about the chain then never again. I wonder if he pooched his engine and scrapped the car.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-23-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Are you sure the chain system is at fault? You would only be the 2nd person here with chain issues. Ever. Another guy was just, IMO, clueless when he was diagnosing noises from his engine. He posted once about the chain then never again. I wonder if he pooched his engine and scrapped the car.
    If it is the timing chain I'd be very surprised. We (the forum) just haven't seen this kind of problem with the exception of the person that Wallythacker mentioned. I'm not saying it isn't but these 3A92's engines have really had zero timing chain issues. Even members that have made it past 300000 miles / 482000 km have had no issues with the timing chain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have the same noise. I reckon the majority of Mirage owners don't boser what's going on under bonnet. The typical owner of the ordinary car in 21 century and consumers society don't care how this 4 wheel staff sounds. That's what I see around me.
    I have the saame noise on the cold start and a bit longer after oil change. I use Mobil synthetic 5W30 and Ryco oil filter on my 2013 Mirage with 40k on odometer. It was from the first start when I bought it with 25k on odometer. It's definatelly timing chain. I have heard the same noise on the other cars from othe car makers.
    Sometimes this sound last aboud a second or two sometimes none at all. I don't know why such difference is. What I noticed that if I park the car with the right inclain or with the right and forward inclain the noise will be as mentioned above, 1, 2 sec or none at all. The opposite car orientations lead to worst.
    I don't think that it harms engine at all. Fortunatelly Mirage doesn't have the high revs on the cold start as some of the others cars have. Anyway would be good to fix it. I agree with some of the guys here that the oil filter needs to be with good back flow valve, but I believe the real problem is that the tesioner doesn't work properly by designe. Maybe replace it someday, see what's happens.

Whoops I forgot to actually post this. Here’s some of the buckets. (Hopefully it’s visible) Attachment 25886

I thought there was an access cover for the tensioner but I don’t know where? I just looked at two engines on the floor from 2017’s and looked at a 2015 still in a car and didn’t see an access plate. Timing cover looks to be one piece.
    Attachment 25887Attachment 25888

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-20-2023),MightyMirageMpg (09-22-2023)