Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mitsubishi mirage g4 cvt failure

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Pulled pan and both magnets were full and was like a clay colored layer on bottom of pan. No big chunks. Fluid was really dark though. Went through sequence flow chart from that Mitsubishi manuel Fummins posted and it has a diagnostic procedure for every code and I went through them and from what it says it's most likely a valve body but I'm concerned about that thin layer on pan. I cleaned the pan up and refilled. Erased codes and went for long drive again. Coded didn't reappear. And according to the flow chart it is saying valve body or primary solenoid. What's the cvt name in this car? Also any ideas. Don't wanna waste money on valve body if it there is a bearing pule up or something. Also had anyone used a aftermarket valve body instead of genuine as the price difference is substantial. I believe 1300 for genuine.

Thanks guys

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Steveystrappa For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-11-2024)

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveystrappa View Post
    Pulled pan and both magnets were full and was like a clay colored layer on bottom of pan. No big chunks. Fluid was really dark though. Went through sequence flow chart from that Mitsubishi manuel Fummins posted and it has a diagnostic procedure for every code and I went through them and from what it says it's most likely a valve body but I'm concerned about that thin layer on pan. I cleaned the pan up and refilled. Erased codes and went for long drive again. Coded didn't reappear. And according to the flow chart it is saying valve body or primary solenoid. What's the cvt name in this car? Also any ideas. Don't wanna waste money on valve body if it there is a bearing pule up or something. Also had anyone used a aftermarket valve body instead of genuine as the price difference is substantial. I believe 1300 for genuine.

Thanks guys
    Wow, you could buy a used trans for that much. Although a used trans would cost more in labor. I always try to find the best "price to quality ratio" when fixing my car. I first start at a salvage yards, they usually write on the window what was wrong with the car and why its been totaled. If you get there early enough when the car arrives and the trans is good, I would just take the valve body from that. Lots of variables with that method of doing it but it can save you thousands and that's where I always start.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Steve - Your best bet is to get a word of advice from Fummins. He could probably lead you to a means of procuring a valve body at a reasonable cost.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OrganicFoxes View Post
    Wow, you could buy a used trans for that much. Although a used trans would cost more in labor. I always try to find the best "price to quality ratio" when fixing my car. I first start at a salvage yards, they usually write on the window what was wrong with the car and why its been totaled. If you get there early enough when the car arrives and the trans is good, I would just take the valve body from that. Lots of variables with that method of doing it but it can save you thousands and that's where I always start.
    Ya I called Mitsubishi and they want $1724! Is the cvt a JF015E ? I am having trouble finding any aftermarket specifically for this vehicle. I know it's a Nissan transmission from what I'm seeing just don't want to order the wrong one. The part number is 2800A177 according to the Mitsubishi dealership

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...e-Transmission

Nissan uses the same model but I don't know if the valve body is gonna be the same.

I've never used or looked for an aftermarket valve body. I don't know if any wrecker would sell a good valve body from a used cvt. I'd consider buying a low mileage cvt, any year, then swap the valve body from it. If problems persist swap the entire unit. Or just swap the entire thing. Valve body is quicker and easier.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...e-Transmission

Nissan uses the same model but I don't know if the valve body is gonna be the same.

I've never used or looked for an aftermarket valve body. I don't know if any wrecker would sell a good valve body from a used cvt. I'd consider buying a low mileage cvt, any year, then swap the valve body from it. If problems persist swap the entire unit. Or just swap the entire thing. Valve body is quicker and easier.
    I found a used 2020 mirage cvt with 55k miles for 895. Also a couple others for around 1000-1300 all with around 45-50k miles. Thanks for that suggestion I'm gonna go with that plan of attack. Will most likely just install used cvt instead of taking out valve body but we will see. You said any year down to 2015 will match up with the 2020? Thanks for the tips

I found a used 2020 mirage cvt with 55k miles for 895. Also a couple others for around 1000-1300 all with around 45-50k miles. Thanks for that suggestion I'm gonna go with that plan of attack. Will most likely just install used cvt instead of taking out valve body but we will see. You said any year down to 2015 will match up with the 2020? Thanks for the tips
    Yeah, 2014-2022 for sure. They list a different part number for early 2014 but I installed a 2017 cvt in my 2014 Mirage that has a 2013 production date. I couldn't find an early one so took a gamble. I was gonna change just the valve body cause mine was surging and threw some codes for the previous owner but I was replacing the engine anyways so swapped the entire cvt. Then tore it down after and found nothing obviously wrong with it, unlike the other ones I tore down.

https://www.mitsubishiparts.com/oem-...bC1sMy1nYXM%3D

These guys have one, 11k miles $650. http://www.lindersinc.net/
    45k miles for $550 http://www.chuckranautopartsinc.com/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (04-10-2024),MetroMPG (04-11-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah, 2014-2022 for sure. They list a different part number for early 2014 but I installed a 2017 cvt in my 2014 Mirage that has a 2013 production date. I couldn't find an early one so took a gamble. I was gonna change just the valve body cause mine was surging and threw some codes for the previous owner but I was replacing the engine anyways so swapped the entire cvt. Then tore it down after and found nothing obviously wrong with it, unlike the other ones I tore down.

https://www.mitsubishiparts.com/oem-...bC1sMy1nYXM%3D

These guys have one, 11k miles $650. http://www.lindersinc.net/
    45k miles for $550 http://www.chuckranautopartsinc.com/
    Wow I can't believe it. I looked at this message and looked up linders and what do you know it's located in worcester and I just happened to be in worcester,ma. I guess it was meant to be. Here now picking it up. Thanks Fummins!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steveystrappa For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-10-2024),inuvik (04-10-2024),MetroMPG (04-11-2024)

Good timing!
    I just looked it up using a random Massachusetts zip code hoping one would be close.

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ya I called Mitsubishi and they want $1724! Is the cvt a JF015E ? I am having trouble finding any aftermarket specifically for this vehicle. I know it's a Nissan transmission from what I'm seeing just don't want to order the wrong one. The part number is 2800A177 according to the Mitsubishi dealership
    Yes JF015E is the name of the trans from Jatco. The JF015E can be found in a bunch of different cars. There differences in each car you find with it, so you can not just pull one from say a Versa, pre 2020 Sentra or Kicks and expect it to work. (well actually the kicks uses the JF020FE which is the "Wide Range" variant, whatever that means) You can use filters from them in your mirage if you want though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrganicFoxes For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-10-2024),inuvik (04-10-2024)