Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reputable online OEM oil filter source

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Reputable online OEM oil filter source

Over the years I’ve seen a few counterfeit parts that came from seemingly reputable suppliers on the internet. I don’t have access to a dealership close by so I’ll have to order online.

Where are y’all ordering genuine OEM oil filters?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,833 Times in 2,138 Posts
    Rock Auto has good prices and a good selection.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

giant22000 (05-10-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,725 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Rock Auto has good prices and a good selection.
    Rock Auto selection is good, but their prices with shipping are not. I don't think you will find an OEM filter for a Mirage @ Rock Auto, but I don't think there is anything special about an OEM oil filter.

If using Rock Auto, I would personally pick the Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra Synthetic.

Mobil 1 110A is $21.92 (using Rock Auto's lowest shipping option). I can buy the same filter at my local Walmart for $11.34 today.

Fram Ultra Synthetic XG7313 would be $13.49 through Rock Auto, & I can pick it up today @ Walmart for $8.97.

Personally, I think both are good. I may even lean towards the Ultra Synthetic as being superior.

I have been using the Purolator ONE PL 14610 for my Mirage. I get them from my local Farm & Fleet or Menard's stores for about $8-9. It's a 15,000 mile oil filter, & I change my oil every 5,000 mlles. Purolator (pure oil later) was the first oil filter company (invented today's oil filters), & they are USA made.

I would feel 100% comfortable using Mobil 1, Fram Ultra-Synthetic, & the Purolator ONE. I have no reason to believe an OEM oil filter is better than these. I don't suspect an OEM oil filter is anything special. A/C Delco & Motorcraft oil filters are decent for the price for GMs & Fords.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

giant22000 (05-10-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I may even lean towards the Ultra Synthetic as being superior.
    Probably because it's Ultra. What's higher / better than that?

I have been using the Purolator ONE PL 14610 for my Mirage. I get them from my local Farm & Fleet or Menard's stores for about $8-9. It's a 15,000 mile oil filter, & I change my oil every 5,000 mlles. Purolator (pure oil later) was the first oil filter company (invented today's oil filters), & they are USA made.
    Mark, when you change your earl at 5,000 miles, do you leave the filter in? And let it go to 10k or 15k miles before changing it? Since it's rated for that? I'd be awfully tempted to at least let it go to 10k miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

giant22000 (05-10-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by giant22000 View Post
    Over the years I’ve seen a few counterfeit parts that came from seemingly reputable suppliers on the internet. I don’t have access to a dealership close by so I’ll have to order online.

Where are y’all ordering genuine OEM oil filters?
    Which filter are you going with, the factory dinky filter(1230a105) or the slightly taller mz690072? We started using the Mz filter in 2014 cause the dealer was selling us oem filters for less then our cost on wix ones, then years later someone new on the parts desk refused to sell us the Mz690072 filters claiming that they aren't correct for the Mirage so would only sell us the factory smaller 1230a105. Then shortly after they realized they were selling us filters at a loss, they corrected pricing then Wix became cheaper so I started using them. Originally started with the 51356 I believe then after a while they called for a 57356 instead.

I believe denso makes the oem Mitsu filters. It looks like Rock auto carries both styles(tall and short), you can look them up by using the oem part numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wix xp filter from rock auto

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Probably because it's Ultra. What's higher / better than that?

I base my thought on the internal components. It's not hard to find guys on YouTube who cut these filters apart.

Mark, when you change your earl at 5,000 miles, do you leave the filter in? And let it go to 10k or 15k miles before changing it? Since it's rated for that? I'd be awfully tempted to at least let it go to 10k miles.
    I always change my oil filter with each oil change. Otherwise, it would be like taking a shower & putting dirty underwear back on afterwards.

I plan on doing 5,000 mile oil/filter changes. If I can't afford to do that, I will sell my car.

I always change my oil filter with each oil change. Otherwise, it would be like taking a shower & putting dirty underwear back on afterwards.
    What if you turn them inside out? Asking for a friend.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (05-10-2024),ThunderG (05-10-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Which filter are you going with, the factory dinky filter(1230a105) or the slightly taller mz690072? We started using the Mz filter in 2014 cause the dealer was selling us oem filters for less then our cost on wix ones, then years later someone new on the parts desk refused to sell us the Mz690072 filters claiming that they aren't correct for the Mirage so would only sell us the factory smaller 1230a105. Then shortly after they realized they were selling us filters at a loss, they corrected pricing then Wix became cheaper so I started using them. Originally started with the 51356 I believe then after a while they called for a 57356 instead.

I believe denso makes the oem Mitsu filters. It looks like Rock auto carries both styles(tall and short), you can look them up by using the oem part numbers.
    It seems like the Mirage, G4, Eclipse Cross, & Outlander Sport take the same OEM Oil Filter - Mitsubishi (MZ690072). I'm not sure why someone at a parts desk would think otherwise?

If you want OEM filters & don't live near a dealership, sites like Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse are helpful -

https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...ilter-mz690072

If someone is doing somewhat frequent oil changes (5,000 miles or less), I don't see the need to overthink oil filters all that much. I tend to buy Purolator ONE oil filters because I can find them locally. Buying a Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra-Synthetic @ Walmart is also easy to do. '

There's nothing wrong with Wix & Wix XP oil filters, too. I would have to stop at my local O'Reilly Auto Parts to pick one up, and I seldom go there. If I was buying oil filters for a fleet of cars, & I may approach this all differently, too.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-10-2024 at 01:14 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

giant22000 (05-10-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

Was planning on using MZ690072.