Thread: Uh-oh :/ CVT booboo

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Exclamation Uh-oh :/ CVT booboo

17k km roughly on odometer now, yesterday was getting on the highway in ds CVT was not cold but was not too warm either around 30 celcius I put it in ds coming onto the highway on ramp, gradually and steadily accelerated then held throttle around 20 percent where I had previously never encountered anything, it suddenly began surging the rpm, up and down several several times. For around 30 seconds before I let off and put it into drive. It drove fine afterwards. I did notice also in the last few days and on the drive home last night, upon coasting with zero load essentially at certain speed, a clinking, like coins being dropped on the ground, like a ka-ting-ka-ting clank noises. In succession, and seems like on a certain rhythm.

Doesn't always do it, but sometimes upon acceleration there is the same clink, but only 1-2 times.

Last edited by 2024mirage; 04-10-2024 at 04:21 PM.
    SIMPLIFY THEN ADD LIGHTNESS.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2024mirage View Post
    17k km roughly on odometer now, yesterday was getting on the highway in ds CVT was not cold but was not too warm either around 30 celcius I put it in ds coming onto the highway on ramp, gradually and steadily accelerated then held throttle around 20 percent where I had previously never encountered anything, it suddenly began surging the rpm, up and down several several times. For around 30 seconds before I let off and put it into drive. It drove fine afterwards. I did notice also in the last few days and on the drive home last night, upon coasting with zero load essentially at certain speed, a clinking, like coins being dropped on the ground, like a ka-ting-ka-ting clank noises. In succession, and seems like on a certain rhythm.

Doesn't always do it, but sometimes upon acceleration there is the same clink, but only 1-2 times.
    Interesting. Were you using cruise control in your commute? If so, from my experience it tends to rev the RPM higher than needed even on a slight incline pavement. To combat that unwanted super high RPM, I just cancel/turn off CC and adjust my throttle a lil instead.

I haven’t experienced anything you describe yet and have had been using Ds from time to time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Negative, not in cruise. My foot could not have been any more steady.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2024mirage View Post
    CVT was not cold but was not too warm either around 30 celcius
    This was the trans fluid temperature at the time when this happened?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    This was the trans fluid temperature at the time when this happened?
    Yes ��