Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ciao! ModernistDinosaur here!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Ciao! ModernistDinosaur here!

Hi all, I'm making a formal introduction after I posted about a curious used Mirage.

Long-story-short: my 2003 Golf TDI is aging. Although I've adored that car, life is such that I'm not going to be able to give it the geriatric care it so thoroughly deserves! As such, I've been trying to find a suitable replacement, which has been perplexing to say the least.

To me, car styling has been in a steep decline since the late 00s, so aesthetics are generally out for me. I've chosen to focus on: value, reliability, low cost-of-ownership, and general utilitarianism. I had been looking at Toyota (Scion) Yaris/iA, but finding one with a manual transmission has proven difficult.

In an unexpected turn, I've found myself considering a car I thought I never would: the Mitsubishi Mirage. Do I like the look of the car? Not really... But I like that it's small, inexpensive, and simple with a good track record!

Keeping my eyes open for the right one! Looking forward to bouncing ideas off of you guys!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ModernistDinosaur For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-22-2024),Grumpy Bear (04-22-2024),MetroMPG (04-29-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,060 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ModernistDinosaur View Post
    Do I like the look of the car? Not really... But I like that it's small, inexpensive, and simple with a good track record!
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I do love my Mirage. But I don't think it is the sexiest car I've ever had. And, this weekend I saw a blue G4, and man, that sucker was sharp. I wanted a hatch because I have never had one before. I do like it. More than a sedan ... yes and no. I do think the G4 is better looking. But in all cases, I like the skinny tire look on these cars. The skinny tire look has really grown on me. I don't know why, but it has.

20 years ago, I wanted a VW Jetta 1.9L diesel, with a 5-speed manual. But it just wasn't in the cards. I worked for Toyota at that time and got a 2004 Corolla LE 5-speed instead. And saved a whole ton of money since I was a Toyota employee. That Corolla was bad ass, all the way up to the day my wife wadded it up. Seems like that happened in 2018 or 2019.

The Mirage is everything you surmise it to be. It is a cheap car, that is very valuable because it is very reliable, very cheap to own, the 5-speed models are even fun to drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What's up 7milesout? Good to e-meet!

My dad has a mk4 Jetta TDI! The ALH engine really is bulletproof! I love that you worked for Toyota, but wanted a VW. <3

Thanks for confirming my intuition! I think the Mirage will fit the bill nicely... It's hard to find "just a car" today!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ModernistDinosaur View Post
    It's hard to find "just a car" today!
    I know what you mean. For all I know, new fancy cars might read our minds and pop up a commercial related to our thoughts and annoy the living crap out of me. Like trying to watch a youtube video, commercial after commercial after commercial.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I know what you mean. For all I know, new fancy cars might read our minds and pop up a commercial related to our thoughts and annoy the living crap out of me. Like trying to watch a youtube video, commercial after commercial after commercial.
    Hey, those lubetube commercials are gonna buy me a couple cases of beer one of these days so they're not all bad lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Like I had mentioned before. Blu 5 speed G4 = 7MO Edition!

Yeah more features = more things to break. I had understood this once I got a taste of it from my ex Accord. Hate sunroof.

If my G4 crashes today, I’ll probably go back to base G4 5 speed but it won’t be that easy.
    Last edited by defensivetackle99; 04-22-2024 at 07:34 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is what Mark and I (and likely many others on here) suggest is the KING of MIRAGES.

It would appear that there's nothing wrong with this unit, except the price...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/a...-615c6f3082f4/

5-speed
    low miles
    manual hvac
    134a refrigerant
    Heck, it probably cranks out 79 hp!

The king!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    More fEaTuReS = more things to break.

"Good design is as little design as possible." —Dieter Rams

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The blue G4 I saw Saturday was badass. But I could tell it was new enough to NOT be a 5-speed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    The blue G4 I saw Saturday was badass. But I could tell it was new enough to NOT be a 5-speed.
    I hear ya. The latest model year for the Bluey G4 with the 5 speed was 2021. It was my first choice to procure my ex G4 5 speed and I was too late.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)