Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
On Saturday (4/20), I towed the below from my house to a location maybe 40 miles short of the Tail of the Dragon. From my house it's about 165 miles to that location. So just over 200 miles to the T.O.T.D. That's a long ride on a murdersickle. Especially on a murdersickle that's not all that comfortable.

I topped off as I was leaving, and from that gas station, to my drop off, and back to the same gas station was 322 miles. I was going to try to make it in one fuel slurp. But it didn't happen. I did the math, I would have been 20 miles (or so) short of making it.

I saw a real nice Racetrac gas station on my way up through the hills, that I could bail out and use on my way back if it didn't seem like I was going to make it. And so it came to pass. It was on 2 bars as I was nearing said Racetrac on my way back home, and I had 80 miles to go. I wasn't going to make it. So I stopped and gassed. I took 7.156 gallons and covered 241 miles. That is 33.66 mpg. If you ask me, that's PHENOMINAL! I got a real cool look from a couple dudes as I was leaving that gas station. Their look was like, oh damn, you really towing that ... with THAT? I gave them a thumbs up.

The only time the Mirage was holding anyone up, was from a complete stop. Because, from a stop, I just barely rev the engine, and I barely slip the clutch to get it engaged. Once the clutch is completely engaged, then I roll into and let loose all those stallions. And I take my time rowing from one gear to the next. I kind of float into the next gear and again, get the clutch completely engaged before I let the stallions loose. Once up to ~40 mph, I run along pretty much with all the other traffic. Towed like a dream. I did hit one really bad tore up spot on I-285. It was hard to believe how well the combo kept it's composure. Yeah, the car got vaulted, but it straightened itself back up quickly. The time spent getting the weights balanced paid off.

It was so nice to be able to sit in a comfortable car, listen to tunes, etc to and from the house. What a helluva a car!

Name:  Tow Rig NC 2.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  96.7 KB

At my preferred refueling station. Actually I prefer Love's, but none available. Leaving here is where I got the looks.
The car look like a little blue tractor...
Name:  Tow Rig NC 3.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  97.4 KB
Oh, and the most important question. why were you towing that thing? just for sh*ts and giggles?

Marklovski: A GIANT thumbs up from me. What an awesome way to see the country. I am all jellus right now someone much brighter than I thought of this. Congrats!