Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Like you said, that's purely speculation on your part. I never assume.
But we have to assume the tire manufacturer is being honest! Until the tire is put into use, we can only assume the ratings are accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I would like to think putting a different UTQG rating on the same tires would be illegal, but I don't think those ratings are regulated by anyone.
Uniform Tire Quality Grading
Uniform Tire Quality Grading, commonly abbreviated as UTQG, is a set of standards for passenger car tires that measures a tire's treadwear, temperature resistance and traction. The UTQG was created by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 1978, a branch of the United States Department of Transportation (DOT).[1] All passenger car tires manufactured for sale in the United States since March 31, 1979 are federally mandated to have the UTQG ratings on their sidewall as part of the DOT approval process, in which non-DOT approved tires are not legal for street use in the United States. [2] Light truck tires are not required to have a UTQG.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) established the Uniform Tire Quality Grading Standards (UTQGS) in 49 CFR 575.104.[3] When looking at UTQG ratings it is important to realize that the Department of Transportation does not conduct the tests. The grades are assigned by the tire manufacturers based on their test results or those conducted by an independent testing company they have hired. The NHTSA has the right to inspect tire manufacturers' data, and can fine them if inconsistencies are found.
This might explain the change in tire naming and the change in UTQG - was Falken caught misrepresenting their mileage claims? Who knows, we can only speculate.