Guys -

I started a new thread because I would just like to throw out ideas. And ask a few questions. I have a regular day job / career. But I also sell an exhaust product via the internet, for a specific vehicle. It is not something that would work on or for the Mirage.

What is driving me is that, our 3-Tapper has a very unique and interesting sound to it. It doesn't sound badass IMO, but it does sound good. Better than a Civic, to be sure.

I would like to enhance it. By enhance I mean, I want it to be somewhat louder, but not fart can loud. I've heard a few exhausts here of the Mirage from the site. They are almost good. By almost I mean ... they are just a touch too loud, maybe a touch too deep (for such a teeny little engine). And when they get deep, they are starting to sound a bit fart cannish. And lastly, what I have seen are too expensive ... for a Mirage. It is an inexpensive car, so anything to mod the exhaust should also be inexpensive. I'm wondering if there is a way to get just the right sound, for cheap. Granted it may not be possible.

I do not do this for anything other than sound. I have no desire to chase hp in such a car. On the other hand, I would not be interested in producing something that would negatively effect hp output.

So this thread is just a way to discuss ideas. My first question is, in the sketch below, I think the red-shaded area of the exhaust is a resonator. Not a muffler. Am I correct? And has anyone simply removed the resonator? If so, is there a video of that sound?

Name:  Exhaust 1.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  48.9 KB