Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil leak?

Country
    El Salvador
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

oil leak?

I’m noticing that there is a wet spot under the intake manifold. Are there any gaskets or components that can cause such leak in this area? 2014 Mirage CVT 157446 miles. I recently did an oil change under the 3k interval because of fear of low oil and I was correct I was running with barely 2 quarts of oil. How am I losing this much oil so quick? Valve cover gasket was replaced last year as well. Plus I’m not losing any coolant it constantly stays above the Full Mark.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 686 Posts
    That the valve cover was replaced last year is a fact, but that it leaks is also a fact. Maybe the valve cover wasn't put in properly? Dunno! There is not much under the intake manifold that can leak. The oil filter?

I would wipe everything clean and perfectly dry, then look again a bit later and find out where it becomes oily. Then you know more and can do something about it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (05-01-2024)

The only leak that I've seen on these engines is from the oil filter. Sometimes weeks after an oil change. It wouldn't hurt to remove it and make sure everything is free of dirt. There's a thread about the same thing happening to someone else. They ended up removing the metal trough below the filter(thinking it may have been in the way of the filter gasket) and replaced the filter iirc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-01-2024)

Country
    El Salvador
    Thanks
    I spent a little more time looking and didn’t see no drips or drops coming from the oil pan or oil filter I also made sure that the valve cover was snug and gave the area a little cleaning. What I did notice was that it was extremely more grimy and dirty by the water pump area. Possible water pump leak? I will be keeping a close eye on the coolant level and also replace the pcv (I cleaned it but why not just replace it) As for the oil lost I hope it’s due to a clogged pcv and I won’t have to look further into it. I will be changing the oil around 2500-3000 miles or whenever I have a too loud cold start and the car starts to feel more underpowered than it should be.

Country
    El Salvador
    Thanks
    For anyone interested I replaced my PCV today with one from Nissan/Infinite part #11810-6N202
    Perfect fit

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 14Mirage400 For This Useful Post:

7milesout (05-01-2024),Fummins (05-01-2024)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 686 Posts
    I don't see what the PCV valve has to do with it. Even if it were clogged, it would not cause an oil leak, because there is a breather tube from the top of the valve cover leading to the rubber airhose between airfilter box and butterfly flap. That breather tube very effectively prevents any noteworthy pressure or vacuum building up in the crankcase. The oil leak must be coming from somewhere else.

Above the water pump area towards the front is the oil valve for the intake camshaft adjustment, and there is an overlooked tiny oilfilter beside it. A leak might theoretically come from there, but I think that is highly unlikely.

As Fummins said, maybe the gasket of the oil filter. I would take my time and have a closer look and take care of what is wrong.

Country
    El Salvador
    Thanks
    I changed the PCV for maintenance reasons and to prevent oil consumption habits. I change my own oil and oil filter. Both oil pan and oil filter are dry before removing. I even check it under load to see if it drips. Even after long trips I look under the Mirage to see if I see any hints of oil plus I never stain my driveway while at idle or warming it up in the morning.
    The Mirage either consumed or leaked 1.9 quart of oil under 3000 miles. I know this because I made it a habit to measure the fluids after any fluid change.

But they only hold 3 liters/qts(close enough) of oil. In your first post you said you had 2 qts left. So would have lost 1 qt. Now you're saying you were short 1.9qt so had barely 1 qt left? It was leaking but now maybe it wasn't? Reading is hard so maybe I did it wrong.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    El Salvador
    Thanks
    Sorry for not mentioning this info
    At 155056 miles I did an oil change and got 1 quart and some from the oil pan and oil filter. After that I decide to cut my oil change intervals to 3000 miles to analyze what’s happening to my oil.
    At 157392 I did an oil change and got out just barely 2 quarts.
    I mentioned an oil leak because I saw the grime under the intake manifold and was wondering if I’m missing something. I did replace the drain plug bolt with one from the parts store a few oil changes ago and it came with a plastic crusher. Maybe that leaks under heavy highway driving and I’m just not catching it. I’ll continue to keep a close eye on the Mirage one thing I don’t like is low oil levels.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,059 Posts
    It could be burning it too. You could add an oil level check to your fuel refilling. Pull in, stop, poop the hood, fill the tank, pull the dipstick wipe it, insert and pull it again to see where it is. Have a couple quarts of your favorite brew with you to top it off.

I have taught this routine to my sons because they drive oil burners. The oldest 2 have Infiniti G35s, and youngest has a Mazda RX8.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)