Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Ideas ... again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts

Step 2!

Looking for all glass pack suggestions!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Why not go big?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-21-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Aaaaa-ite now. Aside from the fact that I would be interested in what the monstrosity sounded like, I'm being all serious bidness up in here.

I'm probably going to go with a Thrush 24200. It (says it) has a 2" inlet/outlet I.D., and is 25" long. That's a bit longer than most other options I'm looking at. And I'm thinking that length might yield less noise while still being plenty loud enough. Gonna go home and do some measuring tonight. I'm going to measure the length of the stock muffler to see how closely that 24200 will fit in place of the stock muffler.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fummins - I have a question for you. Because that front section the exhaust pipe and the 2nd cat were cut-off of the 2019 exhaust I just pulled off a Mirage (see reply #39 for explanation), I also am without the FLANGE, bolts and springs used to mate the exhaust pipe up with the manifold pipe.

Here's the question: Where do you suggest I source the exact flange, bolts and springs? I don't want my fabricator to use something "similar," or to have to scab some shortcut together. I want to hand him Ed Zachery what he needs and just let him have at it. This guy is GOOOOOD, no GREAAAAATE. But garbage instructions in, might equal garbage results out.

I'm talking about the below flange, bolts and springs.

Name:  FlangeNbolts.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  91.5 KB
    Last edited by 7milesout; 05-22-2024 at 01:17 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I hate to blow-up my own thread, but I made a little progress today. I made sketches (because I'm a nerd engineer), and took the 2019 exhaust that I pulled off and went and talked to my exhaust guy today. I showed him the sketches what I'd want him to do, and if he saw any issues with it. He was just as I was estimating.

He said, "if you'll just bring me the exhaust flanges and glasspack, I'll take care of the rest." He makes his own reducers. He stocks 1.5 inch pipe.

So now my next steps are a) procurement, and b) initial drag strip testing. The glasspack is easy and cheap to procure. I'm going to go with a 2 inch (inlet/outlet) 25 inches long glasspack. I'm thinking, "mo' glasspack, mo' bettuh" to keep it from being annoying. I have not found any 1.5 inch diameter glasspacks, and most are shorter than 25 inches.

I don't know when I'm going to get to the drag strip though. My oldest son is about to go to DC to sit in front of a confirmation panel regarding entering the the Navy as a Nuke Officer (hard to explain). After he's given the 'go-ahead' (assuming that he will be), he'll probably be gone for quite a long time. So, taking off to go get embarrassed riding the Blueberry down a dragstrip is taking a distance back seat to hanging out with my son while he's here.

Other glasspack suggestions?
    How / where can I source the exhaust flange, bolts and springs?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,128 Posts
    Nooo 7MO, don't use a glasspack, get a quality steel packed straight through muffler. Definitely not the cheapest but super durable and won't burn out.

https://portermufflers.com/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Whoops, I thought i replied already. For bolts and springs, dealer could get them I'm sure. They're relatively universal fit, could always take one off your car and run into an exhaust shop or parts store and have them match it up? For the flange, I dunno if that's something that'd be on the shelf somewhere? I don't imagine it'd be hard to find one but without a sample it could be a pita.

For a muffler, I have no idea. I had some that looked like this on a 79 C10 that had a nice tinkle at idle and were pretty throaty at wot. I don't know what make they were but looked similar to this: https://stainlessworks.net/chambered...ainless-steel/ They might be kinda fart canish on a Mirage though.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-22-2024 at 08:41 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Nooo 7MO, don't use a glasspack, get a quality steel packed straight through muffler. Definitely not the cheapest but super durable and won't burn out.

https://portermufflers.com/
    Those daggone Porter Mufflers look to be, simply a glasspack. A perfed tube inside a mo' bigguh tube, with fiberglass packed in between the 2 tubes. Hence the name, glasspack. Those look Ed Zachery the same as what I'm going to source for my "trial."

I'm not expert, maybe I'm wrong. Is there a "section" view available of those Porter Mufflers? As for the durability of the Thrush I currently plan to procure (I could change my mind), I'm going to guess that heat plays a big role in the durability. For the fact that our 3-Tappers just don't make as much heat as other engines, and the fact I'm going to eliminate a catalyst, the heat should be lower. The Thrush should last.

In any event, my gut tells me this whole thing is going to lead to an exhaust that is too loud. If so, I'm probably going to go down the path of a standard Borla ProXS muffler. If that doesn't do what I need, I'm going to put the stock exhaust back on, throw the experimental exhaust out on the interstate, declare it impossible to have a nice sound with our 3-Tapper and call it a day.

The ProXS is a standard size muffler. I took the stock enormous muffler off my Paw's Sierra, and the ProXS (still on there) sounds great. I suppose the ProXS would be louder than our stock muffler on the Mirage, but quieter than a glasspack. Stupid exhaust, this should be easier. Friggin Triumph triples sound great, why is our triple such a challenge?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Whoops, I thought i replied already. For bolts and springs, dealer could get them I'm sure. They're relatively universal fit, could always take one off your car and run into an exhaust shop or parts store and have them match it up? For the flange, I dunno if that's something that'd be on the shelf somewhere? I don't imagine it'd be hard to find one but without a sample it could be a pita.

For a muffler, I have no idea. I had some that looked like this on a 79 C10 that had a nice tinkle at idle and were pretty throaty at wot. I don't know what make they were.
    That looks like just another glasspack.

The dealer, yes. I have done my best to NEVER consider a dealer for anything. I guess I've done well.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That looks like just another glasspack.

The dealer, yes. I have done my best to NEVER consider a dealer for anything. I guess I've done well.
    I'll wander around the exhaust area area real quick see if I can spot anything that might work fer you. I think I used the same bolts from a Mirage on a Nissan nv200 the other day when I had to replace the front cat that rusted off.