I tried this turd out again last night. I'm able to monitor shift solenoid data. Found out the Hold button makes the transmission start out in second gear when the selector is in drive. It also takes longer to upshift this way.
So I pulled onto the street and put it in drive, moved 10 ft then it just reved up...Hit the hold button and it drove. I came to stop sign and left the hold button on and it drove alright taking off in second. I went a few blocks like this to a less busy area and pulled over a few times and took off like normal with the hold in the normal position. It kept starting out fine but after a few feet just gave up and revved out like it's in neutral. Hitting the hold button didn't do much. It eventually stopped starting out in second and got stuck in 3rd gear. I gave up and drove it home like that.

I'll probably pull the pan in the next day or two, pull the valve body, clean it up and try again. I think all the solenoids are working properly. They all make the same buzzing noise for a second or two so I think that what I was hearing is normal. I found a way to pressure test the solenoids so I guess I'll give that a go before parking it on the train tracks.

I really don't want to have to replace the transmission. They look like a major pita like most import 4x4 transmissions. I'd have to do it on the ground cause my lift would be useless.