Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2002 Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear L400 (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Mitsubishi
    Delica Space Gear L400
    Black
    4spd automagic

4x4

•  
    Details

Has some weird bmw looking grille from a Taiwan market 2005 Delica

•  

Stock

•  
    Comments: 150 / Views: 69058
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I went out on a date with a chick one time. After I paid the bill, she showed me her trans hose. I decided I didn't want any rear brakes so I ended it right there and said goodbye to him.
    Yikes. I best be reading what I type before posting from now on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,836 Times in 2,141 Posts
    1. Omron ETACS module, huh? Have you been able to scan it?
    2. Is the Delica wiring as delicate & dainty as the Mirage? Can't tell from here.
    3. Knowing a previous owner 'upgraded' lighting and botched it might indicate other silly, half-baked modifications. Probably like something I would do...
    4. What about an engine block heater?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    1. Omron ETACS module, huh? Have you been able to scan it?
    2. Is the Delica wiring as delicate & dainty as the Mirage? Can't tell from here.
    3. Knowing a previous owner 'upgraded' lighting and botched it might indicate other silly, half-baked modifications. Probably like something I would do...
    4. What about an engine block heater?
    I did hook the scanner up and found some old abs codes in the history but wasn't able to mess around like I can with the Mirage etacs. But I found out there's a case of adapters for the scanner that I use that's been sitting on a shelf for the last 9 years...There's one marked Mitsubishi/Hyundai that has the male and female obdII ports and one weird rectangular connector hanging off the side. I did see a plug next to the obd port that might be where that other end goes? But I'll mess with that next week. It'd be nice to be able to just disable that reverse chime and keep the other ones active.

I think the wiring might be slightly more robust for the most part. But there's a lot of wiring under the van that is exposed to the elements. If it lasted 21 years without wearing out here's hoping I don't put another 20 years of wear on in the next little while.

Yeah, the lighting deal makes me wonder about those previous abs codes. I'll have to look and see if the abs warning light comes on when I first turn the key, if not I assume the bulb is mia. The headlights and fog lights are a mixed bag of different style lights. One low beam headlight has an led bulb, the other a halogen. One fog light has an led bulb,the other one an HID...Afaik, lhd headlights should be installed and properly aimed properly to pass the out of country inspection but I'm not sure if that happened. I haven't had a chance to try and see how they're aimed. My driveway is a hill.

I haven't looked for a block heater. If it has one I haven't spotted it. I don't really have much of a need unless I head out of town in the winter. My garage is heated and I can't plug in at work.

I'm not sure what oil to run in this thing. There's a sticker under the hood that shows a maintenance schedule along with oil grade specs but doesn't specify what grade/weight to run. Some say to run 15w40 but that seems a bit thick to me in -30c/-22F in a gas engine. I think most people on the delica forums live in nicer climates or just have no idea and run oil that diesel owners recommend. I'll have to look around some more.

Oh, and the wires dangling next to the brake pedal in the first pic(above) run to a switch that's hanging. To watch a dvd you have to "engage the ebrake twice(and maybe leave it on?)" for the video to display on the screen(s) so someone instead of running it to the e-brake switch they ground the wire via the switch. It appears to be a temporary permanent kinda deal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,127 Posts
    That's a awesome OEM setup. Reminds me of the 1st gen Mazda MPV's were set up the same way. All the seats would fold flat creating a large bed. We used this setup in our MPV when the kids were little for camping but we used it all of the time literally almost every weekend during the summer. We had a drive in theatre not very far from where we lived (closed now). Would back into the space, pop the rear hatch (used a bungee cord so it didn't go up all the way to block people behind us). Fold all the seats down with a couple of blankets, pop a shopping bag of popcorn before we left and watch a couple of movies (the local drive in always was a double feature and every once in awhile would show 3 movies). Good times.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-02-2023)

It ended up fitting that queen sized air mattress in there with the front seats up. I don’t get out nearly enough! Attachment 25971Was hoping to take this thing camping later this month or maybe November if I get a few more things fixed up. But our fridge $hit the bed for good and I blew my savings on the van lol damn new fridge costs double what I paid for my Mirage and probably will crap out in 5 years like the old one .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-02-2023)

I finally received the airbags that I ordered last month then did a quick and dirty install. Jacked up the body one side at a time and slid the bags through the rear coil springs. Zip tied the hoses to the diff and up to the body where the rubber brake is then coiled the rest up and tied it to the spare tire carrier for now. What a difference! With 30psi it has a hee haw rake to it, with 15psi it appears level to me. On the way to work this morning it felt much more stable on the highway(60mph),less bounce, less sway, but now I have to duck to see some traffic lights if I stop at the stop line...That's how sagged out the rear springs are! I might try a set in the Mirage one day.
    Here's some before and after pics:
    Attachment 26018
    Attachment 26019
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-13-2023 at 12:44 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (10-13-2023),inuvik (10-13-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,836 Times in 2,141 Posts
    Those airbags make a big difference in ride. Now you can fit those 35s and hit the trails.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I was low on fuel the other day and forgot to fill up so I dumped about 18L from a jerry can in it the other day then fueled up up with 50L on Saturday. Covered 521km(184159km) since the last complete fill up= 13.1L/100km or 17.95 us MPG.

Then Filled up again yesterday just for sharts, 184314km(155km-19.6L)=12.6L/100km or 18.66 us MPG. Or 22.4 imp MPG.

I installed THIS remote start. Mostly. It starts and shuts off via remote but that's it so far. I haven't wired up the brake light,park light or hood pin wires yet. It's a temporarily permanent way of doing things. This thing had what I thought was a remote start in it before but had no remote. It had a harness that plugged right into the oem one so I spliced into that add-on harness so I didn't have to chop up the oem wiring. Added a wire to one of the ign coils for a tach signal via trial and error get a shock with the engine running with a test light that grounds via idiot holding it. I'd like to wire up the keyless entry part but that will take some thinking and maybe some relays....

I really should tackle the valve cover, cam seals, timing belt etc sooner than later... but it's almost winter and I have 50 other projects to do first.
    I haven't driven the Mirage in a couple weeks now. I think I'll go back and forth between the two this winter. The car is soo much cheaper to drive, handles better(can't say that often), and warms up quicker than the van. I'm still on the fence about which one is quicker. I should do a comparison one day, the van might be quicker after all despite it being a 5000lb little porker with a little v6.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 1,077 Posts
    You're destroying the earth with that thing...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    You're destroying the earth with that thing...
    I can't do it alone, start driving your Lexus more often.