Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jalopnik Article on Mirage discontinued in 2025

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    Mitsubishi Motors North America spokesperson Jeremy Barnes declined to comment on the future of the Mirage in the U.S.

"It's a vehicle that we still see as having a role in our portfolio at this time," Barnes said. "It fulfills the role of an entry-level vehicle."

The impersonal undertone in this statement honestly makes me sad. I love my car. It's more than a tool or "entry level" vehicle to me. It's saved me so much money and I don't owe a cent on it. It's dead reliable and simple to work on. There's more to it than just the car itself. It's freedom on wheels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to precisionxt For This Useful Post:

BigMW (08-16-2023),Fummins (08-16-2023),inuvik (08-16-2023),jonesboro (08-16-2023),MetroMPG (08-17-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    So many can barely afford their car loans, but they feel like they have to keep up with the Jonses, even if it pushes them into insurmountable debt.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (08-24-2023),Fummins (08-16-2023),inuvik (08-16-2023),Marklovski (08-16-2023)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyptr View Post
    I just bought a Ralliart... but perhaps should buy a 2nd Mirage and put it into storage? Honestly, if they could rework the Mirage into a 2 seater mini truck, I bet that would go over quite well ($20K USD, gas powered... gets 35mpg ect)
    Maybe not buy a second mirage but maybe stock up on certain parts
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I heard dealers couldn't keep them on the lot for how fast they sell and now they're saying sales are down?

Thats weird. Sounds like a production issue.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Here's a article that that's not happy about the Mirage being discontinued.

https://www.theautopian.com/the-mits...appy-about-it/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a budget saved for a Kei truck but that might be going towards replacement parts for the Mirage. Especially a backup engine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I had a budget saved for a Kei truck but that might be going towards replacement parts for the Mirage. Especially a backup engine.
    Yah, not a bad plan. If you have a manual transmission, buying a clutch kit sooner rather than later would be a good idea too. Because in 2030 or so who's going to be making clutches for these? I need to get a clutch kit for my manual transmission OS now even though I don't have any issues. It's already been 4 model years since the 5 speed was available and they only sold in extremely low numbers when they were available.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Yah, not a bad plan. If you have a manual transmission, buying a clutch kit sooner rather than later would be a good idea too. Because in 2030 or so who's going to be making clutches for these? I need to get a clutch kit for my manual transmission OS now even though I don't have any issues. It's already been 4 model years since the 5 speed was available and they only sold in extremely low numbers when they were available.
    I've got my clutch kit ready and keep a clutch cable in the spare tire well. The 5MT Mirages just became classics so keep the paint looking good lol

As for spare engines: if this 3A92 ever does blow up I might K swap it and flex on the haters supremely

P.S. does MirageForum think we should send Mitsubishi's US ops some strongly worded emails about how we think the car still has enough value to exist?
    2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jonesboro For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I heard dealers couldn't keep them on the lot for how fast they sell and now they're saying sales are down?

Thats weird. Sounds like a production issue.
    I doubt it. I really believed the forecast model from MMNA had drastically altered. I don’t have insider info but the sale figure certainly reflects that.

At least the Mirage is still being streamlined from the factory and port. Heck I went on business trip not long ago and did unexpectedly encounter a Mirage Pre Delivery Inspection! See pictures below!

Name:  IMG_0943.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  92.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0942.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  100.4 KB

I saw 3 hatchback Mirages and 1 Outlander. No G4 in sight :-/

I told the driver/technician that I love that car and owned the G4 twice. Wished the conversation last longer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to defensivetackle99 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-17-2023),Marklovski (08-17-2023)

Admin note: I combined the two threads on this topic into this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

If anyone wants to join me, I am boycotting new vehicles (for the rest of my life) unless things change.
    With all automakers abandoning true (ie. cheap) new entry level cars in North America, that opens the door to the Chinese. I've read that sentiment multiple times in the past year or so.

It has happened in Europe/Australia/NZ.

I've never bought a new car, and probably won't. I'll be in the market for a low-kms, 2024 5MT Mirage... in about 6-8 years.

After that? Who knows.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)